Thursday 25 July 2013

Panama 2000, Part 2

Firstly, let me introduce you to three new brothers:

Shahid Nabi Khan" <presidentline@datatex.com.ni>, 
Shamim Ahmed" <shamimahmedh@aol.com>, 
Hassan Rahman" <hmrahman@hotmail.com>, 

The latter two are friends from London; Shamim is currently holidaying in
Greece (hope, you´re having fun, bro!); Hassan lives in Brixton. 
Shahid is a Pakistani (Karachi) brother I stayed with in Managua, Nicaragua.

Hope you are all doing great.

Mustafa, did you reserve a seat for me to Cartagena? Reply ASAP!

Ok, here´s the latest day...


SATURDAY 28 OCTOBER

Today was a very peaceful, relaxing and enjoyable day. Today was spent in the
beautiful and refreshing surroundings of Boquete - coffee plantations, orange
groves, strawberry fields, gardens with very pretty flowers and, of course,
forested mountains all around. Today was one of the best days in Central
America. I felt great!

I had planned to hike up the 3475 metre high Volcan Baru but that would’ve
entailed walking at least 11 hours. I´m sure it  would´ve been great but I
wanted variety and greatness without too much effort. I let my body dictate
what I did today. Lazy day but don´t expect to be reading about lying on the
beach all day! 

And so awoke at the very leisurely hour of 9:15pm. Had a leisurely hot shower
and, leisurely, strolled to my favourite restaurant in Boquete. Leisurely ate a
fat pancake, two fried eggs and two yogurts of pineapple and strawberry
flavours. The breakfast would last me until supper.

Walked North to a bridge over Rio Pianista. It looked very picturesque,
especially with high forested mountains in the backdrop. Took a picture and
continued Northbound, leisurely of course - it´s so pretty there that you have
to take your time! 

Next stop was Cafe Ruiz, a small factory producing premium-grade roasted
coffee. Took a free guided tour, which explained the whole process -
harvesting, peeling, fermenting, drying, peeling again, roasting, grinding and
vacuum packing.  It was pretty interesting but I didn´t buy any though. Might
do in Colombia.

The only others on the tour were a couple from Colorado. They were debating
whether to join me on my continued journey North. One wanted to but the other
preferred to collect their laundry. I left them at it and went to 'Mi jardin es
su jardin',  (use 'babblefish', Usamah!), a pretty little private garden with
lots 
of Children´s play areas. I didn´t see any children though. 

Soon after, I was joined by one of the Colorados. The other went for the
laundry! Colorado and I then walked to Los Ladrillos, a small area of basalt
cliffs with octagonal fingers of rocks in clusters. (Imagine Northern Ireland´s
Giant´s Causeway being horizental). We continued Northbound along cascades and
on to a waterfall. 

Neat waterfall but not possible to swim as the water was drained. Met a German
couple who are travelling around the world with their 3-year old daughter. I
wonder if she´ll remember. They´ve been to India, and even as near as Calcutta,
but not to Bangladesh. Its amazing the number of travellers who miss out on
Bangladesh. 

The five of us then took a bus back to Boquete. Used Colorados´ bathroom for
wudu and stuff before parting. It was now 3pm.

I then went for a 2 and a half hour hike that gave the best views of the day.
Started by crossing Rio Piasta by a suspension bridge and walking up a road
winding steeply uphill .The views were getting better already. 

The summit of Volcan Baru, west of the town, was shrouded in cloud when I
started the hike but it soon cleared. Great images of the town and volacano.
The weather could´ve been sunnier but it was bright enough for my eyes; don´t
know about the camera´s though.

The paved road soon turned to a gravel track. I´d heard that from one spot it
was possible to see the Pacific on a clear day. Didn´t really expect to on a
cloudy day like this but went there anyway. And yes, I could see it! Most of
the sky was cloudy but there was a corridor, over low-lying farmland, which was
relatively clear. That really made my day!

Near the Pacific viewpoint I bumped in to a truck driver who offered a lift to
further along the track. I declined - his breath smelt of alcohol. Prayed Zuhr
and Asr and made my way back to Boquete. Very enjoyable walk down it was. I
felt so happy and couldn´t stop smiling!

Took pictures of horses, got barked at by (fenced off) mad dogs (I was carrying
a stick so would´ve been safe), arrived at the David-Boquete road. Took the
first bus back to David.

It was a great day in Boquete. It made me realise how much I´ll miss travelling
when it all ends in less than seven weeks. But I am also looking forward to
returning home and seeing all my family and friends. When coming down from the
Pacific point I thought a lot about how much so and so would´ve enjoyed it.
Man, you should be here! I think I am getting too much in to life, no?

Anyway, arrived in David at about 6:40pm. Bought a midnight passage to Panama
City. It´s scheduled to take six hours. Went to a great cafe for dinner though
at first I was too scared to go in - it looked too swanky! But I knew that it
would be a cheapie as Mustafa ate there a couple of nights ago. 

Ate chips, beans and colslaw (spelling) salad for 1.20USD. Wrote this day. Ate
chips and potato salad (funky combination, huh?) for 0.90USD. Great value!

Collected my backpack from Pension Costa Rica and came to this 1USD/hour
internet place. (That was the day rate, anyhow). It was busy at first so prayed
Maghrib and Isha. Got on soon after. 

Inshallah,  I will get a good night´s sleep on the bus. 

And that´s it...the diary is now live!

No comments:

Post a Comment