Saturday 10 August 2013

Spain 2013 - Goodbye Spain (13.4.13)

The drive to Madrid was tiring. We stopped at a couple of service stations, once to have a short nap and the other to ask for a warning message on the dashboard of the Zafira. It was minor.

Drove fast for three reasons - it's safer as it stops you falling asleep because you have to concentrate more; it gets you there quicker;  and, I just enjoy driving fast! I should have been wary of cameras though. Ended up paying €200 in fines, my first ever despite numerous past transgressions.

In Central Madrid we met my cousin, Dilwar, who left Britain due to immigration problems. He is trying to make some sort of life for himself in Spain. May Allah ease his path. Aameen. I wished that we had put aside more time for him.

We left for the airport with plenty of time in hand. It was just as well as our free sat nav failed us again! This was the last adventure of the tour, and as we were misdirected around there came a point where I really thought that we might not make it. The heart was pumping.

At one juncture, Hamida told me to go the reverse way on the motorway! And due to feeling of desperation I had seriously considered it and started to turn the car around. But sanity prevailed, Alhamdulillah!

We got to the airport with very little time to unpack the Zafira and pack for the journey. A mad rush ensued that kept the adventure alive up to the last minute.

There was even a verbal scuffle with the checking assistants. I felt disrespected due to our colour and possibly also because of our travel worn appearances. And, for good or bad, my ego doesn't let these things pass go!

It was time to say goodbye to Spain. Thank you for hosting us most beautifully. We will remember you.

At least I had the IPL to look forward to...

No comments:

Post a Comment